Around the World Black Bean Burgers (A Meatless Monday Treat)
I went through six sticks of butter and two dozen eggs this weekend, which is always a sign of a good time. Still, by Monday it felt time to clean up the act right along with the kitchen. These black bean burgers were just the ticket. This also meant that I got to use my new food processor (thanks Dee!) I can’t even tell you how much easier a food processor makes veggie burger prep. Your options are really endless– I expect that I’ll be trying out some combinations of my own in the near future. We dressed these ones with avocado and pepper jack cheese. Mmm.
Also, our winning recipe from Week 5: Winter Tofu & Vegetable Korma
Around the World Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- Cheese and toppings of choice.
- Using a food processor, blend together the black beans, garbanzo beans and onions. Don’t blend, chunks are good. Add corn and chopped walnuts and pulse.
- Then transfer to a large bowl an mix remaining ingredients in until well incorporated.
- Shape into four large patties. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil and cook over medium head for 15 minutes, or until browned on both sides. Add cheese of choice (we liked it with Pepper Jack!) and cook for another 5 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.
- Top and serve!