Spring Vegetable Lasagna with Goat Cheese and Pesto
I originally bookmarked this recipe while trolling for vegetarian month recipes, but it’s a far better fit for the first day of Spring! It’s colorful, healthy and packed with fresh veggies. Oh, and it’s also delicious. I should go ahead and add that it wins Week 11 favorite. Enjoy!
Spring Vegetable & Goat Cheese Lasagna
From Yummy Mummy
- 1 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1/4″ pieces
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2 – 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 juicy red tomato
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 oz goat cheese at room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 oz pesto
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 8 oz shredded light mozzarella cheese
- A couple of tbls grated parmesan for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add leeks, asparagus, and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables just begin to soften. Add spinach and stir in. Cook until wilted, about one minute. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, goat cheese, and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto over the bottom of an 11 x 7″ casserole dish. Place a layer of lasagna noodles over the pesto. Spoon half of the vegetable mixture over the noodles. Spread half the ricotta mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with a second layer of noodles, then pesto, the rest of the vegetables and the rest of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 mozzarella and final noodle layer.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over top. Place sliced tomatoes over cheese and finish off with a bit of parmesan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until noodles are cooked through. Switch to broil for 5 minutes for a delicious bubbly, cheesy finish.