Of Sinners and Saints: Fried Quinoa with Bacon and Kale
This dish attracted my attention because it was different– it takes “super foods” like quinoa and kale and then fries them with bacon. The wok was perfect for making sure that everything got mixed and fried evenly and the whole raw egg got cooked. Overall, we really enjoyed this dish, although I would say it could use a kick. Perhaps some fresh ginger or sriracha (I just bought my first bottle of sriracha and it’s going in everything!) I would also say it’s ripe for some additional mix-ins: fried chickpeas, water chestnuts, tempeh, cashews, etc. I mixed edamame in to stretch the leftovers over a couple of lunches and it was really good!
Fried Quinoa with Bacon and Kale
From Eat Life Whole
4 cups quinoa, cooked (1.25 cup uncooked quinoa)
4 slices of bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
1 egg, scrambled and sliced
1 egg, raw
¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups kale, thinly chopped
1 leek, thinly sliced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce*
1 teaspoon coconut oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
*You may need to add more soy sauce– I would recommend tasting and adjusting as needed. I ended up using about 3T soy sauce and omitting the salt.
- In a large skillet over high heat, melt the coconut oil and sauté onions and garlic with a pinch of sea salt and pepper until the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the raw kale and cook until the leaves turn bright green (~ 1 minute).
- Add the cooked bacon and cook for another minute.
- Add the cooked quinoa, soy sauce, another pinch of sea salt and fresh, ground pepper. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the raw egg, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes. Allow the “fried quinoa” to sit in the pan for about 30-45 seconds before stirring again. (You don’t want to constantly mix it.)
- Add the sliced, scrambled egg, cilantro, and green onions. Serve immediately with an extra garnish of green onions.