A Trip to the Orchard
The scone recipe is below, but for the recipe for this amazing apple butter, you will just have to head over to the D.C. Ladies’ blog and check out my post!
Apple Cinnamon Scones with Butterscotch Chips and Cream Cheese Swirl
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cold (I used cinnamon flavored)
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 large apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk almond milk
- 1/2 cup cinnamon or butterscotch
- Turbandino sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Put parchment paper on a baking cheese and grease.
- Combine dry ingredients (first 8 ingredients, through all spice) in a large bowl. Using a knife or a dough hook, cut in the cold butter and cream cheese until it’s in even, pea-sized pieces. Use your hands as necessary.
- In a medium mixing bowl, compine apple, egg, vanilla and almond milk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, without over mixing.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll to 1.5-2″ thickness.* Cut into triangles and transfer to prepared pan. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until browned.
*As I learned with my first batch, which ended up being apple butterscotch cookies (still delicious!), these scones do not rise a great deal. You will want to make them thick to begin with.