Shrimp and Sausage Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
You may have noticed that I’ve been experimenting with a lot of grain-free recipes lately. No I haven’t gone Paleo, or Atkins, or South Beach, or any of the other forms of dietary torture that ban all things delicious. Never. Oatmeal is still the first thing I reach for in the morning and quinoa is a huge part of my diet.
I just happen to be fascinated by the idea that you can replace noodles with spaghetti squash or cabbage, or that you can use cauliflower for pizza dough… and now for fried rice! I love the novelty of it, and hey, you’ll never hear me complain about a delicious dish that also happens to be absurdly healthy. Well, I tried out my latest grain-free dish this week, and man am I excited to share it with you:
Cauliflower fried “rice,” packed with spicy kielbasa, great big juicy shrimp, and lots of vibrant veggies. It might just be my new favorite grain-free novelty (although the cabbage pad thai is pretty damn hard to top!)- it’s bold and flavorful and will fill you up without filling you out!
Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
From The Urban Poser
For the Nước Chấm Sauce:
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Chili flakes optional
In a mason jar, combine all the ingredients and mix or shake well!
For The Fried “Rice”:
1 large head cauliflower (or two small)
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil or preferred cooking oil
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup onion, diced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup asparagus, diced
1 cup sausage, chopped (I used 1/2 package Trader Joe’s Turkey Kielbasa)
1 cup shrimp (whole or chopped, depending on their size and your preference)
2 large eggs
- Grate the cauliflower using a food processor with the grater attachment (or you can use a hand grater, but power to ya!) Using the food processor without the attachment will work too (I did!). Don’t over grate.
- Prep the rest of the ingredients as stated in the ingredient list above. Add 1-2 T oil in a wok or large pan over medium heat. Cook the onions until soft and translucent. Add the carrots, garlic and asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes. Finally, add the sausage and shrimp and continue to cook.
- Meanwhile, in another wok or large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Now add the cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently and spreading out so it will brown evenly. This will take about 5 minutes on a high heat.
- Make a well in the center of the cauliflower. Add the beaten egg and toss the egg throughout the ‘rice’ making sure it breaks out and is well combined. “Rice” should become nice and fluffy with bits of egg throughout.
Stir the veggie/protein mixture into the “rice” and garnish with the Nước Chấm.