Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Covered Raspberry Cream Bars, Won’t You Be My Valentine?
I have lots to share with you from our Valentine’s Day feast, but I’m a big proponent of starting with dessert. My Grandad used to tell me that you should eat your favorite thing first, because that’s when your taste buds are freshest. His advice was specifically regarding the top of a muffin – which I generally save for last – but I think he’d approve of us jumping right to these dark chocolate raspberry cream bars. Also, this recipe is the one I’ve had the most demand for, and I like to keep my people happy. You’re welcome.
While you might see three layers and think these are complicated, they’re not! In fact, they only have 7 ingredients. Since they’re raw they require no time to bake, but you will want to leave your self time for them to freeze.
I do want to note one thing about my modifications to the recipe, which like most of my modifications were to utilize ingredients I had on hand. I opened a can of full fat coconut milk that I’d intended to make into coconut whipped cream for another recipe, but it hadn’t separated adequately. I decided since I’d be blending it with the frozen raspberries anyway, this was a perfect opportunity to use it. The result was more of a sorbet texture, which we all loved. If you like raspberry sorbet, go with coconut milk. If you’re looking for more of an ice cream texture, go with coconut cream. The choice is yours!
(And if you think these look awesome, you should also try my coffee version!)
Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Covered Raspberry Cream Bars
Adapted from Eat Good 4 Life
Raw, vegan, paleo, gluten-free – Prep-time: 20 minutes – Cook time: 0 minutes – Freeze time: 2 hours
- 1 cup raw almonds (or nut of choice)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 14oz can full fat coconut milk or coconut cream*
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
If you like raspberry sorbet, go with coconut milk. If you’re looking for more of an ice cream texture, go with coconut cream. Coconut milk was used in the bars pictured.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup high quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Combine almonds and dates in a food processor and blend until the mixture comes together well. Press into the bottom of a 9″ x 9″ square baking pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Blend the filling ingredients in a blender or food processor and pour over the crust. Place in the freezer until fairly solid.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Spread evenly over the filling.
- Freeze until ready to serve. Let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Makes 12-16 bars