A Summertime Cocktail Crush: Strawberry Rhubarb Fizz
It’s the freakin’ weekend kids! And a long one at that. The perfect time for cocktails. One of Courtney and my recent resolutions has been to make cocktails at home more often. Experimenting with mixology really is a lot of fun, and you can make whatever your heart desires for a fraction of the cost. A while back I bought him a cocktail book and a mason jar shaker, but it hasn’t been getting nearly enough use. Finally, inspired by summer and dinner guests, we finally tried our first recipe from the book: a Strawberry Rhubarb Fizz. It was incredibly tasty and just screams “SUMMER!” I noticed the White House Farmer’s Market near my work carries fresh rhubarb, so I expect we’ll be making these again soon!
Strawberry Rhubarb Fizz
Ingredients for two drinks:
- 3 shots vodka
- 2 tablespoons high quality strawberry jam
- 4 fresh strawberries
- 4 slices of fresh rhubarb, sliced + 2 thin spears to garnish
- 1 shot fresh squeeze lemon juice
- Seltzer water
- Add the strawberry jam, strawberries, rhubarb slices, and lemon juice to the shaker. Muddle until thoroughly crushed
- Add vodka and then add ice to above the level of the liquid, and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain* the mixture into a glass containing large ice cubes, top with seltzer and garnish with a spear of rhubarb!
*It’s up to you at this point whether you want to include some or all the pulp in the glass – it’s sort of like orange juice, it’s all about your preference. I personally love this part and couldn’t imagine tossing it down the disposal!